Sunday, July 8, 2012

Once more into the breach

Once upon a time in high school, I drew a picture of Edgar Rice Burroughs's creation, Tars Tarkas of Barsoom, on a piece of looseleaf paper during class; it was certainly not as well drafted as the one in the banner above, but full of exuberant energy nonetheless. The student sitting next to me looked over at this sketch of a four-armed warrior with a quizzical expression on his face; by way of explanation, I simply wrote "He is a Thark" on the page, next to the figure, presuming that would be sufficient.

I have long since lost that sheet of looseleaf, but I have never lost my affinity for certain genres and forms and fascinations, and can still tell a Green Martian from a Red Martian without a thought. Science fiction, comic books, sword & sorcery, movies, superheroes, roleplaying games, action figures, myths & legends, steampunk, alternate history -- these are still the things that captivate me, and the things that I want to talk about.

So that's what I aim to do here. I have had comics blogs and general interest blogs and special interest blogs before, and I guess I don't know when to quit. I'll be flying the geek flag high at this place - to spare my Facebook posse from what might be a little too abstruse and to let my pals with the same predilections and penchants know where I'll be, ahem, holding forth.

Good to have you aboard!


No comments:

Post a Comment