Sunday, October 30, 2016

Cosplayus Obscuras

So,  yesterday was the observance of Halloween, as least for adult costume parties, at least in these parts. Last year, being new to the City of Subdued Excitement, we had a quiet night at home; this year, we were invited to two parties. Yay, burgeoning social circle! We were told by friends that costumes should demonstrate some intentionality; the impression I got was that no one would be openly mocked but perhaps silently judged. We tried to rise to the task.

I put together a recreation of old, one-armed Oliver Queen from Dark Knight Returns, complete with synthetic kryptonite arrow.



The clothes were easy, and it all fell into place when I figured out how to use a pirate beard backwards for the hair. I even added the gunshot wound to the right thigh.

Unfortunately, we didn't get a lot of pictures, so here's the best of bad lot, from before I really figured out how hide my not-missing arm:


I am considering this practice for cosplay at a comic con somewhere. No one at either party had the slightest idea who I was; I figure at a con, maybe 1% will get it.

And just to show that the family that geeks together squeaks together (?), Wonder Wife came as a 5th level Cleric of Ehlanna from D&D 3.5.


 Happy Halloween!


1 comment:

  1. Excellent!

    My favorite costume from the days before cosplay was a guy in a Fantastic Four costume with a brown paper sack over his head.

    ReplyDelete