Friday, July 8, 2016

The New 52

So, my eldest sister once again proved that she is the more thoughtful sibling. Today, for no specific reason, just out of the blue, I received a package from her in the mail, as I do from time to time, with a little token of her esteem and affection.


This particular item was as wonderful as the others - a deck of playing cards with a wide assortment of images from comics. Some of these are likely in the public domain, but I am certain some others aren't. I'm not sure who the publisher, Nicky Bird Design, is and how he or she thought to do this, but it's pretty cool.



Pretty nice back design.


Two interesting things about the side panel. (1) Who says the Great Age of the Comic instead of the Golden Age of Comics? and (2) In my world, Lichtenstein is pretty much discredited as nothing more than a swipe artist.

Enough kvetching. Here are some of the more noteworthy images.


Lots of love for the Marvel Family in this deck.

I'd wager the off-panel exclamation comes from the Big Red Cheese, too.

Some excellent Kirby art - always the Great Age, no matter when. 

 Just the kind of thing Lichtenstein would swipe.


Racy stuff!

Okay, now that's just creepy.

Sounds like some cats I know... not mine, of course.

 Wait... why... how would you even do this? 

"Snifffff..."

Y
 "Yellow-bellied Commie" I have heard a lot, but "Moscow Maniac" sounds like cocktail.

C'mon, who names a robot Martha

I think this might be the most recent stuff: these guys were married, but as you can see, they had some issues.

This looks like a pretty generic boy hero, but check out the back-up strip:
 
 Sandusky and the Senator? It's like the Dundee and the Culhane of comics!

The DC sub-genre of WW2 Combat with Added Dinosaurs was actually pretty awesome sometimes.

This looks a lot like Maudlin's Willie and Joe, but I don't think it is.

This looks a lot like Commissioner Gordon, but I don't think it is.

This looks a lot like Gorgo, and if it's not, I'll be annoyed.

 How'd you like to defend these before a House Sub-Committee while crashing from Benzedrine?

I call shenanigans - this isn't a comic book cover, it's a pulp magazine.

 Not sure what bar this guy works in...


The best for last: classic Gil Kane haymaker-knocking-someone-ass-over-teakettle shot!
(I had this comic!)

So, thank you dear sister. My cribbage games will be even more lively with this deck!

 Me and my big sister from looong ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment