Thursday, June 6, 2013

Doesn't suck

So, I am rejoining my old D&D party after taking a hiatus to, like, get married and change jobs and undergo a vasectomy and stuff like that. Now that I am back teaching and will have the summer free, I can jump back into gaming with both feet. I consulted with the DM, and after rolling pretty well for attributes, I decided to play a Bard. It just felt like the right thing to do: the group as it is currently constituted is pretty much a classic foursquare party: Fighter, Rogue, Cleric, and Wizard. Since the Bard has broad support as the "best fifth party member," it seemed fitting to stay with the motif.

Of course, I am sure this is what my playing group anticipates:



Fair enough - the cliche of the useless bard is a longstanding tradition in D&D. This, however, is more how I envision the character, of course:

His name is An-Dara Mac (use Google translate) and I wanted to use him to explore an idea that I have encountered somewhere: that as a consequence of primogeniture, British colonies (such as America) were explored/exploited/developed by the second sons - the firstborn remaining home to take over the estate -  and that somehow contributed to the development of our national character.

Well, that was the idea, anyway. But then in looking for suitable illustrations for this post, I encountered this guy:


Now I am thinking of how to talk my DM into letting me switch the character concept, because this is just cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment