Monday, June 3, 2013

Scienti-Fox

So, here's the comic story we are looking at:



And here's what Comic Vine said about it:



So I went to the copy of the story that I still have:


And, you know, they're not just whistling Dixie. Viz:


And:


I wish that some of my students' papers were cited so well.

Friends often ask me where I accumulated so much random knowledge. This story, and others like it, are some of those places. Thanks, Mr. Fox.

The Riddle of the Robot Justice League!  
Justice League of America #13 
National Periodical Publications
Script: Gardner Fox
Pencils: Mike Sekowsky
Inks: Bernard Sachs

1 comment:

  1. This what you said.

    I've always thought of that 1971 reprint as representing the platonic ideal of a JLA comic, and felt that way even when it was originally published. Flipping through it again just now (couldn't help myself after reading this post) it turns out both stories hinge on the power of the opinions of others. Aquaman plays team cheerleader in this story...and in the second one, the Protectors of Starzl make the defeat of their opponents an all too literal self-fulfilling prophecy. The latter provided a powerful metaphor of crippling self-doubt I've recalled more than once over the years.

    Another thing that jumps out about issue 93: ads for Kirby's Fourth World books and acclaim for the O'Neil/Adams Green Lantern/Green Arrow.

    ReplyDelete